Many customers face problems while running our ComponentOne Studio installers on VS2010 Express. When the installer is launched, a message is shown that you need to Install Visual Studio 2010 and the .Net 4.0 framework.
The reason for this is that our installers check for Visual Studio 2010, and check for the InstallDir named string in the registry.
<Property Id="ISVS2010INSTALLED" Secure="yes" > <RegistrySearch Id="VS2010Registry" Type="raw" Root="HKLM" Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0" Name="InstallDir" /> </Property>
The simplest and fastest workaround is to simply add this entry, install and then remove the registry entry. All our installers recognize VS2010 Express with this registry workaround.
Following are simple steps for creating a registry entry :
- Create a backup for your registries (for future if needed) before doing so. For creating a backup do the following:
- Open “Run” from Start menu. Type “regedit” and press enter.
- Click on File menu and select – “Export” and save it to some file on your hard disk.
- Find the following key :
For 32 bit machines : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Visual Studio\10.0
For 64 bit machines : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
- Add a String Value called InstallDir, and set to the path of your VS2010 IDE files. The path is actually the same as it would be if you had a full Visual Studio installed, as
For 32 bit machines : C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\
For 64 bit machines : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\
- The install will work the next time you run it.
The attached AddEntriesForVS2010 scripts will add and remove this registry for you, just double click to run.
- Create a registry backup.
- Extract the zip file to some folder.
- Now run Bogus-AddEntryForVS2010.reg (Bogus-AddEntryForVS2010_x64.reg for 64-bit) or from extracted folder to add a bogus entry.
- Install the C1Studio setup.
- Now revert the made changes after installing setup by using Bogus-RemoveEntryForVS2010.reg (Bogus-RemoveEntryForVS2010_x64.reg for 64-bit) from same extracted folder.
If the above steps fail to install the ComponentOne installer, then email it to our Technical Support team (firstname.lastname@example.org).